Oregon Birders OnLine (OBOL)
- How can I read OBOL?
- How do I Subscribe or Unsubscribe?
- Subscribe to OBOL at https://www.freelists.org/list/obol .
- To Unsubscribe, go to https://www.freelists.org/list/obol and on the line labeled “What would you like to do?” select “Unsubscribe”.
- After you unsubscribe, you will no longer receive email updates, and you will no longer be able to post to OBOL.
- How can I post to OBOL?
- After you subscribe to OBOL, you can post to the list by writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How do I change my email options?
- Go to https://www.freelists.org/list/obol and locate the line labeled “What would you like to do?”
- To receive individual emails for every post, select “Turn Digest mode off”
- To receive a single daily digest email, select “Turn Digest mode on”
- If you do not want to receive any emails, select “Turn Vacation mode on”
OBOL (Oregon Birders Online) is an online mailing list dedicated to birding in Oregon. The goal of OBOL is to share knowledge and curiosity about birds and birding experiences, and to build relationships and inclusivity across the birding community.
OBOL desires to be welcoming and inclusive to all, especially BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) folks and women who have long been marginalized in the historically white and male-dominated landscape of birding. Bird lovers from across the spectrum of experience are welcome here. Please do your part to be encouraging and helpful, and refrain from dismissive or patronizing comments.
Scope of posts
Postings should be related to wild birds and birding experiences in the field in Oregon. Birders are invited to share bird sightings and reports, rare bird alerts, reports of interesting or unusual bird behavior, status and distribution, identification questions and discussions, and information about upcoming birding events in Oregon. Please sign your post and include your location.
If a notable bird is on private property, do not post the location unless you have explicit consent from the occupant, and are confident the occupant is aware of the interest that the sighting may draw.
OBOL does not allow posts or URLs or taglines about commercial offerings. An occasional post about resale of your personal birding equipment is allowed.
Be sensitive to the reality that birding and bird conservation often intersect with topics of considerable disagreement among our members, and discussion of these topics can lead to extensive and sometimes vitriolic debate. Please avoid posts about controversial issues including cats, guns, electoral politics and religion. Posts related to wild bird conservation issues in Oregon are allowed, but please consider that this forum is not the best place for a protracted discussion.
Offensive or hate speech
OBOL does not tolerate any content that promotes discrimination, hatred, or violence. Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, invasive of another’s privacy, racist or otherwise objectionable is prohibited. The use of sexualized language or imagery, trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, public or private harassment, including offensive or degrading language is also prohibited. Violators will be banned from the forum.
How to contact moderators
Feel free to contact the moderator (email@example.com) if you have any questions or need help. If you wish to unsubscribe or otherwise manage your OBOL account, go here: https://www.freelists.org/list/obol. If you wish to discuss moderation of the list with the OBA, please contact us at https://oregonbirding.org/contact-oba.
Other online forums for birders
For real-time bird alerts, many birders are choosing the convenience of messaging app groups. For photo sharing, Birding Oregon is a good resource, and for identification questions, “What’s This Bird?” may be helpful.