- OBOL has operated for many years with a minimal level of moderation and formal rules, relying on a common understanding of civility and a shared focus on birding.
- Always sign your post and include your location.
- YAHOO AND AOL USERS: Always include your email address with your signature. Yahoo and AOL email addresses are automatically scrubbed in the FROM line, so people won’t be able to reply to you unless you add your address to the body of your post.
- If a notable bird is on private property, do not give out the location unless you are 100% certain the homeowner would be okay with many visitors.
- You may attach photos to your post.
- Postings should be related to wild birds in Oregon, their identification, distribution, and natural history, and birding experiences in the field in Oregon.
- Experiences from elsewhere are sometimes relevant to discussion of Oregon birds, but normally it is best to post those to forums for the regions where you saw the birds.
- An occasional posting about birding-related commercial offerings, such as tours, books, or binoculars for sale is OK (“occasional” is generally understood to be no more than once per month).
- Avoid topics such as cats, guns, house sparrow control, and all political and religious issues.
- Can I read OBOL without joining or subscribing to OBOL?
- Yes, you may read OBOL by selecting the current month at the OBOL archive site, or at the ABA site (the ABA site does not display photos).
- How do I post to OBOL?
- After you join, you can post to the list by writing to: email@example.com
- How do I change my email options to receive fewer emails each day?
- To receive a single daily email with all of the posts, instead of individual emails for each post, go to https://www.freelists.org/list/obol and on the line labeled “What would you like to do?” select “Turn Digest mode on”
- How do I change my email options to receive no emails, but still be subscribed so I can post to the list?
- Go to https://www.freelists.org/list/obol and on the line labeled “What would you like to do?” select “Turn Vacation mode on”
- How do I Unsubscribe?
- To Unsubscribe, go to https://www.freelists.org/list/obol and on the line labeled “What would you like to do?” select “Unsubscribe”. After you unsubscribe, you will no longer receive email updates, and you will no longer be able to post to OBOL.
Birds of Oregon (BOO)
Alternative to OBOL
For folks who wish to talk about anything related to birds or birding, and with the added freedom of no political limitations, we maintain a second listserv, Birds of Oregon (BOO). Controversial subjects are okay, but the one hard-and-fast guideline is: be respectful of others. To join, go to: https://www.freelists.org/list/boo .